Raw mouse input is distorted

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:19:21 PDT 2008

2008/9/22 Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de>:
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
>>
>> I do have a follow-up question (you can't get rid of me that easy :-)
>> ). I have modified the 'usbtouchscreen' kernel module such that it can
>> use calibration parameters. With this in place, my touchscreen works
>> in X with the 'evdev' driver, i.e. out of the box. Do you guys think
>> this is the right approach to handling touchscreens in GNU/Linux, or
>> would you prefer an X driver for handling touchscreens? I plan on
>> posting the kernel patch to the kernel list on Monday unless anybody
>> here thinks the problem should be solved in X instead of the kernel.
>
> Kernel has its merits, but I'd say X via device properties (rather new
> feature). This solves the root problem too.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand (I don't know that much about
either X, nor the kernel). But you think it would be better to solve
this in X, right? Via a special driver for touch screens? And then I
can use these 'device properties' to set the calibration parameters
without restarting X? Is that what you mean? If so, where can I read
about these 'device properties'?

Thanks,
Søren