events in evdev.c

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:17:52 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:

> Daniel Stone wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:38:09PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>>> I don't know if this is important or not, and I won't harp on this, but I've
>>> heard before that an attempt is made both to keep evdev.c very current, AND to
>>> have it not have anything in it that is Linux-only.
>>
>> I don't know where you heard the Linux-only bit, but it's completely
>> wrong.  evdev is a Linux-only API.
>
> Sorry, I can't parse what you wrote.  You don't know where I heard that Xorg is
> Linux-only?  Is that what you said?

Xorg is not Linux only. However, the Xorg evdev driver is Linux only
because the evdev kernel interface only exists on linux. If Solaris or
*BSD or anyone else ever adopt the evdev kernel interface, then the
driver will have to be suitably abstracted for portability. Until
then, it's Linux only.

--
Dan