Q about fastest display methode

Aleksandar Lazic al-xorg at none.at
Tue Sep 16 02:13:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Die 16.09.2008 06:57, Glynn Clements wrote:

>Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
>
>> I want to display some different Image- and Videoformats on different
>> x windows provided Linux distributions (Redhat Linux, SuSe Linux,
>> gentoo Linux, ...)
>>
>> Please try to answer from objective point of view ;-)
>>
>> 1.) Does I only need the xorg libs or are this libs only for some
>>     basic routines and I need more high level libs to fulfill my
>>     requirements?

[snipp]

>Use wxWidgets if you need portability to other platforms. If you don't
>need portability, using Gtk/Qt directly will be easier and offer more
>features (wxWidgets typically only exposes a subset of the native
>toolkit's functionality).
>
>> 2.) Use the 'fastest' possible way to display n*streams similar on one
>>      or n monitors.
>>
>> 3.) Use as less resouces as possible
>>
>> 4.) Provide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay or similar
>>      fast technique
>
>Xvideo (Xv) extension covers 2, 3 and 4. This allows the use of a video
>overlay if the hardware supports it, or the use of the GPU for scaling
>and/or colour-space conversion as a fallback.

should I use xv direct or the OpenGL Framebuffer Object or both and
decide at runtime?

>This provides a substantial performance gain over converting to RGB and
>rescaling in software. It may also provide better quality (cards which
>provide a video overlay often have a rescaling filter which is much
>better than anything that would be feasible in software).

How about the new cards which are desigend for DirectX10, does they
offer such 2D Acceleration?

>> 6.) I think I don't need the 3D functions of the cards.
>
>Video players often provide the option to use OpenGL for video display,
>in cases where the X server supports GLX but not Xv (or in case Xv
>support is broken).

Due the fact that I'am not uptodate, what is the 'best' solution for the
Mainstream cards at that time?

>> I'am relatively new to the X-Window environment and happy for any
>> help
>
>You might want to look at existing video players for clues. E.g. VLC
>(modular video player with various UIs, including wxWidgets GUI), gxine
>(Gtk GUI for xine), kaffeine (Qt GUI for xine), mplayer (various GUI
>frontends exist as separate projects).

Yes, I'have started to take a look there ;-)

Many thanks

BR

Aleks