multihead / dual input howto (two local users, keyboards etc.)?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Sep 9 07:38:27 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 07:24:38 am Steven J Newbury wrote:

> I the biggest thing needed currently from an Xorg perspective, with
> respect to multiseat, would be the ability to have a HAL policy tie
> specific devices to specific displays - unless I'm missing something?

Multiseat is available, at least in beta.

http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Main_Page

I've been running multiseat based on nvidia binary drivers for quite a while.
It's an unsupported configuration but it works quite well. I'll try to get
some time and document what I've done.

It's not hard.  I do some udev magic to ID the keyboard and then it's a piece
of cake.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Noriko"
    Screen      0  "Noriko" 0 0
    InputDevice    "MouseNoriko" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "KeyboardNoriko" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "SingleCard" "yes"
    Option   "AIGLX"   "true"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "no"
Option         "xinerama" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "KeyboardNoriko"
    Driver         "evdev"
    Option         "device" "/dev/input/by-user/KeyboardNoriko"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "MouseNoriko"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"

Option         "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:4.1:1.0-mouse"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Noriko"