TryClientEvents, getting rid of DeviceIntPtr to maintain compatibility with the binary NVIDIA driver

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:24:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:37:11PM +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>> I've done some debugging with the nvidia driver, and it appears that
>> using nvidia settings to change things such as the digital vibrance
>> and TwinView setup causes the X server to crash. I've traced it down
>> to a recent ABI change in TryClientEvents() in dix/events.c, which the
>> NVIDIA driver is not yet updated for.
>>
>> Full details are in this NVNEWS forum thread
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118342
>>
>> How hard would it be to remove this argument? To the best of my
>> knowledge, X Events already have a DeviceIntPtr built in?
>
> It's not really possible to remove this argument.  Unfortunately these
> are the pitfalls of using a binary-only driver; I suggest you contact
> NVIDIA.

Oh, ok, that's strange. I noticed by doing a git grep on the code that
functions that call TryClientEvents call it with NULL as the second
argument, and the device provided is only used to *not* send an event
under certain circumstances.

I'll try to remove the argument tonight and let you know how it goes.
The unfortunate thing about C I guess is that data types in function
arguments must be the same is provided :/.

Best Wishes,

-Sm

--
Sam Spilsbury -- Developer