xf86Version API removal

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Sep 8 11:58:05 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 13:48 -0400, Nate Weibley wrote:
> Adam et al,
> What was the motivation behind the removal of xf86Version.h and the
> associated API? Was it simply a cleanup effort of extraneous code?
>
> It's removal has broken my ability to build the linuxwacom project's
> Xorg driver in all of the most recent versions of the xorg-server. If
> it is not ultimately necessary to remove, perhaps it would be better
> to slate it for deletion in the near future so that developers have a
> little time to remove any associated references?
>
> I've submitted a bug report to the linuxwacom team, but the project
> doesn't seem very active and my tablet is my only source for pointer
> input, so the loss of the API has left me high and dry on xorg-server
> 1.5 and newer.

ITYM "Newer than 1.5".  It's still there in 1.5.

Anyway, the reason it's gone is it's vanishingly unlikely that any
driver designed to work with xfree86 4.3.0 will still build and function
correctly anymore.  We're not compatible with it, we shouldn't pretend
we are.

It's a shame linuxwacom isn't being particularly responsive.  If you're
looking for a new place to host an updated driver, we've got a very
friendly git server...

- ajax