Configuring a Sun Type 7 USB Unix keyboard

Renato Botelho rbgarga at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:32:30 PDT 2008

Hello,

I recently bought a Sun Type 7 Unix USB keyboard, and i'm trying to
have it working on my FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT box.

Today i'm using this conf at xorg.conf:

        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
        Option      "XkbRules"    "xorg"
        Option      "XkbSymbols"  "pc(pc105)+sun_vndr/usb(sun_usb)+us(intl)"

What results it on log:

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "XkbSymbols" "pc(pc105)+sun_vndr/usb(sun_usb)+us(intl)"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbSymbols: "pc(pc105)+sun_vndr/usb(sun_usb)+us(intl)"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled

It makes keyboard work almost fine, but  Scroll Lock and Compos
lights never turn on. Is there a chance to have compose key turning
compose on/off? Is this the best way to set this keyboard up?

JIC, Since i'm Brazillian i need to use special char (á é í ó ... )

Just one more strange thing, i don't know if it's xorg related or
not. I'm using windowmaker, and I set some shortcuts using the
special keys that this keyboard contain (SunOpen, SunStop),
the problem is when Xorg is started windowmaker get keycodes
of these keys as 0 value, if I try to soft restart windowmaker after
xorg is running, it works fine.

Here is the block of code from windowmaker:

    ptr->keycode = XKeysymToKeycode(dpy, ksym);
    if (ptr->keycode==0) {
        wwarning(_("%s:invalid key in shortcut \"%s\" for entry %s"), file,
                 shortcutDefinition, entry->text);
        wfree(ptr);
        return False;
    }