Device Properties Protocol Spec - Draft 1

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Mon Sep 8 02:19:21 PDT 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> The difference to the current implementation is that there is no
> meta-information about the property. This information included immutable,
> client-created, range and pending. I deem all four as too much information.
>
> If such information is required in the future, such requests can be added
> easily in future versions of XInput.
I guess you are just not exposing those?
My concern is that a client could remove properties installed by the
server or a driver.

In the readonly case, I think it should be possible to tell a property
which refuses to be set due to the value apart from a property which
generally is 'read-only', i.e. has a always-fail setter or some
unexposed flag. Could be BadValue vs. BadMatch, but I'm missing it in
the ChangeDeviceProperty spec (readonly is arguably a type mismatch).

Otherwise, I'm fine.

Cheers,

Simon