MPX

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Sep 5 04:12:28 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 10:43:24AM +0100, John Tapsell wrote:
> What would it take to modify, say, kwin (kde's WM)  to support
> multiple cursors?  Is it fairly straightforward?

modifying compiz was fairly straightforward - at least to get the basic
functionality.

It's a number of steps:
 - ensure that _all_ internal assumptions are changed to multi-device (e.g.
   focusing, grabs, ...)
 - change all core event handling to XI event handling
 - find user interface paradigms that actually work (good luck :)

This is complicated by the fact that XI2 is not stable yet, so you may do the
work and need to change it when we break the API later again.

Cheers,
  Peter