xv overlay port blue with xf86-video-intel 2.4.97.0 and X 1.4.2-2 on a 965gm

manu sawkar msawkar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 20:35:51 PDT 2008

Hey all,

using this Xserver on a 965gm x3100 system:
X.Org X Server 1.5.99.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.26-ARCH i686
Current Operating System: Linux minitx 2.6.26-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue

the XV overlay port using mplayer -vo xv:port=num now only displays a
giant blue screen with no error messages. I upgraded from intel 2.4.2
and  X server 1.4.2-2 because i was having other issues with mplayer
(full screen was not working properly and the X process was taking 50%
of the cpu). I found that using the XV overlay port was the only way
to play video with mplayer tear free, but now it doesnt work anymore.
However, overall the regular XV driver seems to be working much
better... though it still tears.

has the Hardware Overlay port been disabled in the new 965gm drivers?
Unfortunately, this was the only way to watch tear free video with
this motherboard. Thoughts?

-M