xf86-video-ati, problem on notebook Dell Vostro 1000 (linux x86_64)

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 01:49:50 PDT 2008

2008/9/4 Alexei Babich <a.babich at rez.ru>:
> Hello, all.
> Yesterday I install and ran Xorg (1.4.2) on linux x86_64, Dell Vostro 1000 with driver xf86-video-ati(version 4.3.0, compiled for 1.4.0.90). Video-chip is detected as 'ATI Radeon Xpress 200 5974 (PCIE)'. Notebook have 15.4" TFT panel (AU                Optronics, I think) and VGA analog output.
> xorg.conf created by X -configure.
> When I run X, picture on TFT is flickering (sorry for my bad english: picture looks like if every even frame is outputed with 2 sm offset to the left, and every odd one is outputed its normal way. It looks like the loss of synchronization).
> After that, I insert into xorg.conf modeline (calculated by gtf) with direct instructions about width*height of panel (1280x800_60.00), and also I define option PanelSize as 1280x800, but X-server ignores both (as I see in Xorg.log).
> When I look into Xorg.log, I see this:
> ----
> <skip>
> in RADEONProbeOutputModes
> (II) RADEON(0): Adding Screen mode: 1280x80
> (II) RADEON(0): Total number of valid Screen mode(s) added: 1
> (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 connected
> (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1280x768
> <skip>
> ----
>
> Why VGA ? Why 1280*768 ? Why ignores inserted modeline and PanelSize option ?
>
> So, how I can tune xf86-video-ati for normal work with my panel ?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Regards,
> Alexei Babich, circuit engineer, OOO NPP "Rezonans", Chelyabinsk, Russia
> http://www.rez.ru
> Jabber ID: impatt at jabber.ru

try using xrandr to configure the driver. there are a miriad of
graphical gui that allow configuring via xrandr, or you can try using
the command line xrandr to do so. if your included board is working
well you can have a look at your xorg.conf and try using about the
same settings for the vga-0 output.
the last thing that i'd like to tell you is that that driver isn't the
perfect one to use for the x200m. is somehow behind with the
developments. the best driver to use is the git version one from the
personal overlay of alex deucher. it has the latest developments but
some of them are exeprimental and the driver will work only with a 1.5
xorg-server, that will be out, hopefully, this week or the next one,
as stated on this mailing list some days ago after the mesa 7.1
official release.

--
dott. ing. beso