XFixes and disappearing cursors

Kristian Lyngstøl kristian at bohemians.org
Tue Sep 2 08:24:24 PDT 2008

I'm having some lingering issues with XFixes and mouse cursors that
seem to go poof.

The problem is twofold:

When listening to cursor changes through XFixesSelectCursorInput (), I
can get the cursor data just fine for "normal" cursor, but some
cursors simply show up as invisible. Though I will not rule out that
there is some other factor involved, my own personal experience here
have been that this only affects animated cursors, the loading cursor
of Firefox being the most obvious sinner.

The second, and somewhat more grave problem, is that it seem that
after I've started using XFixes for cursor operations, these animated
cursors remain invisible, even when I am not hiding the original X
cursor and no longer listening for cursor data.

Can anyone help me a bit with input on this? I simply don't know
enough about cursor handling to move forward with this issue...

Given the nature of how XFixes communicates cursor images, it seems
it's not exactly suited for animated cursors, and I assume this is the
core of the problem?

- Kristian