Multi{pointer,touch} & Userspace

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Wed Oct 29 00:51:24 PDT 2008

Hello everybody,

a while ago, after the MPX merge, there was a brief discussion about
multipointer support for userspace. I'd like to revive this discussion,
and I have some bits to restart it:

- At http://tisch.sf.net/ , you can find the first beta release of our
  multitouch development framework. While this may not be of immediate
  interest to you, there's two important points which I'd like to
  mention:

  - There are two possible ways to connect MPX to this framework:
    a) as a backend, which delivers user input by way of pointer events
       (or maybe later blob events)
    b) as a frontend, which receives input data from the framework and
       uses that to control pointers
    Both ways are already implemented and will shortly be merged into
    our framework.

  - If I remember correctly, there was a short discussion about a
    generic gesture recognition engine. I had plans to build such a
    thing for over a year now, and what is called "interpretation layer"
    in the paper & diagram) is exactly that. I'd kindly ask you to have
    a look at http://tisch.wiki.sourceforge.net/EventProtocol , where
    the inner workings of the recognizer are described briefly, and tell
    me what you think.

- During his diploma thesis, a student of mine wrote an MPX patch for
  FreeGLUT. I just noticed that the Xorg git tree also contains a GLUT
  library.. so should I try to port our patch to this GLUT version, or
  rather submit it to FreeGLUT? I believe that FreeGLUT is more widely
  used; so maybe both?

Well, that's all from me for now, so now I'm looking forward to hear
your opinions.

Thanks, Yours, Florian

P.S. I know that the Xserver is technically also a part of userspace;
the subject was rather meant in the abstract sense.