modular: Changes to 'master'

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 07:26:35 PDT 2008

Miles Bader wrote:
> Corbin Simpson <mostawesomedude at gmail.com> writes:
>> radeon doesn't just have r5xx, r6xx, and r7xx support grafted on, as you
>> imply. The support is provided through AtomBIOS, and the acceleration
>> for the r5xx chipsets is nearly identical to the r4xx, with the sole
>> exception of the programmable fragment shader unit. radeon's support of
>> all Radeon chipsets is fairly unified and consolidated.
>
> Er, isn't that a bit of a weak statement given that it does _no_
> acceleration for the more modern chipsets?  Which driver provides a
> better path for future work in that sense?

The lack of acceleration on HD chipsets, for both drivers, is due to
waiting for AMD to release corresponding documentation, rather than
anything else. I couldn't really say for sure how much code's been
written on the NDA side, but I hear that there's a working bit of r6xx
DRI already.

(And after noticing your email address, I should throw in that RE is not
planned for these chipsets except where absolutely necessary. :3 )

~ C.