Poll: Should Xorg change from using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to something harder for users to press by accident?

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Fri Oct 24 10:59:15 PDT 2008

dan wrote on September 23 2008:

>> Problem:  Many[1] users have killed X by accident.[2]
>>
>> Solution idea: Make it harder to kill X by accident.
 >
>Alternative solution: Allow users to learn by experience that
>Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills X ... the more disasterous this is for
>them, the quicker they'll learn. The only time I've ever killed X by
>accident was when running XGL, and I don't remember the details of
>why this was happening, but anyway, the 'DontZap' option fixed
>things. Surely this is enough?

Experienced user speaking here.

I know very well that CAB is the kill switch, but it just occurred to
me that it triggered by accident nevertheless. I was editing around
in a graphical editor, where word-based movement is done with Ctrl.
Certain commands require Shift and Alt to be held down too, and
removing words is done traditionally with Backspace. Don't ask how
exactly, but in this twirl it _just happened_ that I triggered CAB by
accident. The only thing I could do at the moment is silently curse
my employer for not using openSUSE. I do save very often, but still,
I had to reload all the programs like xterms, xmms, and so on.

Simple conclusion, I want this patch in Xorg.