[ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-evdev 2.0.99.2

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 02:43:03 PDT 2008

2008/10/24 Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>:
> I wasn't happy with it because I wanted to avoid double scaling (once in the
> driver, once in the server). But as I haven't found a better way to get the
> same thing (not w/o changing the server and XI), I'm willing to put it in.
> Need to have a look at it again though.

Yeah, I can understand that. As I think I've made quite clear in
a stupid question [1]: the server scales from what ever the driver
reports to some range. So, how does the server know the range of the
input, and the range of the output?

The patch I suggested scaled the raw x-coordinate from the touch
screen from [a_x, b_x] to [min_x, max_x], where a is the smallest
value reportable by the touch screen, and b is the largest. min_x and
max_x are the values available in pEvdev.

It seems to me that scaling is a linear transformation, so the two
scalings (in the driver and in the server) should be reducable to one
scaling, by combining the parameters of the two scalings. I'm not sure
of this as I don't know which parameters are used in the server.

Søren

[1] Remember Kids, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.