ATI Chipsets

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Wed Oct 22 16:12:50 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 15:44 -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> > What's the current (Fedora 10 current) best ATI chipset/driver
> > combination that has a GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE of at least 4096? I got an
> > R300 for F9 but it only supported a max texture of 2048 so compiz didn't
> > work correctly. I want to find a relatively cheap ($100 or so) best
> > supported 3D capable (compiz, googleearth, low end game 3D) card. Also,
> > was the 2048 an R300 limit, or a chipset limit?
>
> The r5xx series (X1xxx) is supported by F9 and has full open-source
> compiz support. The best card in the series is the X1950, and it runs
> about $80 or so on Newegg, sometimes less.
>
> Also, the limit is a chipset limit, not a driver limit.
>
> ~ C.

Thanks for the info. I figured it was a chipset issue. I should clarify
too that the R300 works perfectly well, just not with my two monitors.

Is the support any worse with the r6xx series? Newegg has some 3850
cards that are cheaper than the $150 X1950s they currently have.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |