Fully disabling the cursor in xorg-server

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 08:35:51 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to forward port our patch to disable the visible cursor
completely from xorg-server 1.3.0.0 to 1.5.2 (with a view to producing a
final patch against git master), and I've hit a stumbling block.

In 1.3.0.0, we could return TRUE from CheckForEmptyMask() in
dix/cursor.c, and this was enough to suppress cursor display. This no
longer works in 1.5.2 - although the cursor is suppressed in most
situations, it appears on startup, and doesn't disappear until we move
it over something that tries to change the cursor.

I'll send the git patch thus far as a reply to this, but I'd appreciate
any advice people can give me on finding the other places I need to
nobble to prevent the cursor being drawn.
--
Thanks in advance,

Simon Farnsworth