xf86-video-intel 2.5.0 performance questions

Halim Issa yallaone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:33:35 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm seeing some unexpectedly poor performance with version 2.5.0 of the Intel
driver on Xorg X Server 1.5.1 with libdrm 2.4.0 and mesa 7.2. The system in
question is a Lenovo X200 laptop with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4700
MHD onboard graphics card.

glxgears reports it "Failed to initialise TTM buffer manager. Falling back to
classic" and then gives a steady 301 frames per 5.0 seconds = 60.103 FPS.

I know full well that glxgears is not a 100% accurate tool for benchmarking
performance, but the poor performance is also clear in all aspects of graphic
processing.

I have not made any special/custom tweaks to my xorg.conf (attached) and have
also not made any special/custom ./configure --options to the intel driver
while compiling.

In trying to research this I have googled some rather broad queries that have
not provided any useful data. I would thus greatly appreciate if someone
could kindly point me towards relevant information on the subject so that I
can identify and fix the problem.

Attached is my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.

Thanks much in advance. Any insight and pointers to enable me to further
understand what's wrong (and hopefully how to fix) would be greatly
appreciated!