[xorg-server-1.5.2] Mouse wheel trouble

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Oct 19 21:12:16 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:45:09PM +0200, Tobias Jakobi wrote:
> > this option isn't parsed by evdev, so it doesn't have any effect.
> Hmm, are there currently any ways to configure evdev devices?
> The manpages seems a bit outdated. The is nearly nothing there that has
> to do with button mapping and such kind of stuff.

The man page is correct.

evdev 2.0.x doesn't parse button mapping options, and you have to use X protocol
requests to map the buttons (which is how clients do it anyway).

evdev 2.1 has the option, but this is done before the X server sees it and
cannot be changed by the client. This is mainly for devices that have busted
buttons, or need a permanent switch.

> > xmodmap -pp when the buttons are screwed up. is the mapping 4:4 and 5:5?
> Yeah, you're right.
>
> When the mouse doesn't work I have a 4:6, 5:7, 6:4, 7:5 mapping. However
> I haven't got any entries in my Xmodmap file.
>
> How can I see where these mappings come from?

some desktop environment setting?
if you just start X and xterm, does the mapping look the same?

Cheers,
  Peter