[xorg-server-1.5.2] Mouse wheel trouble

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Oct 16 15:37:34 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:10:39PM +0200, Tobias Jakobi wrote:
> The problem: When starting/restarting the xserver the mousewheel does not
> work. Investigating with xev reveals that the wheel generates button events
> 6 and 7.
>
> How to get the mouse working: Unplug and replug the device, then the wheel
> starts working. However now the wheel does produce button events 4 and 5.
>
> I assume that should not happen at all. I'm currently hotfixing this by
> letting a script do a modprobe -r uhci-hcd, sleeping and loading the module
> again (which does essentially the same like unplugging and replugging the
> mouse).

you don't have any button mapping set, do you?
can you run evtest on the device file and post the output when the wheel
doesn't work? (you have to do that without X running, otherwise it'll grab the
device from you).

the wheel code in evdev is fairly simple, so I'd wager a bet on either
configuration or hw issues.

Cheers,
  Peter