Nvidia and ATI in one System

Mader, Alexander (N-MSR) Alexander.Mader at niles.de
Wed Oct 15 05:52:30 PDT 2008

Moritz Lutz schrieb:
> i got a general Question. I got a nvidia onboard graphic card and a
> ATI X1550 (PCI) with dual dvi in my System and i want to use both
> cards.
> Is this possible?

Hello,

yes, it is, and not just in principle: I am running a (quite old) system
with nVidia AGP and ATI PCI card using the open source drivers since May
this year. In my setup the closed source drivers cause trouble as I had
to confirm the day before yesterday when I tried the 173.14.09 driver as
it is shipped with Debian testing and got a frozen system. The last
fglrx test is a bit older and resulted in slow 2D.

> I want to use a vga Monitor on the nvidia, and two dvi monitors on the
> ATI. Because during my tests i got no success, i got it working that
> all 3 Screens got black but then the hole System was freeze ( it was
> opensuse 11.0 ).

I was able to cope with black screens and freezes by using a dummy X
server for initialization as mentioned for instance here[1]. Obviously,
it didn't help with my latest closed source nVidea test, see above. So,
perhaps it is unnecessary.

I assume you want to use Xinerama with the double head ATI card. I have
no idea about this.

Regards and enjoy :-) Alexander.

[1]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX