Intel card with uxa enabled causes garbled screen

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Oct 15 04:19:36 PDT 2008

On Monday, October 13, 2008 10:45 am Hanno Böck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My card is:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> (laptop Lenovo T61)
>
> When trying to enable uxa (all relevant packages on git head), I get this:
> http://files.hboeck.de/intel/img_3367.jpg
>
> the log:
> http://files.hboeck.de/intel/Xorg.0.log.uxa
>
> This may be the cause(?):
> (WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
> (WW) intel(0): Register 0x61200 (PP_STATUS) changed from 0xc0000008 to
> 0xd0000009
> (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS before: on, ready, sequencing idle
> (WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS after: on, ready, sequencing on
> (WW) intel(0): ESR is 0x00000001
> (WW) intel(0): PRB0_CTL (0x0001f001) indicates ring buffer enabled
> (WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.

No it looks like you're using UXA with tiling enabled.  That's not supported
at the moment.  Really UXA won't be usable until the GTT mapping stuff I've
been working on gets merged (still tracking a bug or two in it but I'm almost
done other than that), since in order for it to handled tiled regions it
needs to map them through a fence register, which is part of mapping it
through the GTT.  And in order to get decent performance for operations that
use software fallbacks, it needs to map framebuffer memory through the GTT
rather than mapping the backing store and doing a cache flush for every
operation.

Anyway, should be working soon...

Jesse