Intel: how's dynamic framebuffer allocation coming?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Oct 13 22:49:37 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 01:58:05PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. I remember chatting with some Intel devs around six to seven
> months ago about dynamic framebuffer allocation: i.e., supporting
> multiple heads without people needing to stick a Virtual line in
> xorg.conf or have their distributor set a wastefully large default
> framebuffer size. I recall the plan was to be working on this some time
> around...well...now, actually :)
>
> So I just wondered if there was an update on the status of this. Will it
> be coming along soon? It would be nice to have it in Mandriva 2009.1
> (April 2009).

If I'm not mistaken, it's called GEM nowadays, and it's queued for
2.6.28, according to a recent post by Jesse Barnes:
http://virtuousgeek.org/blog/index.php/jbarnes/2008/10/13/and_more_travel

Marius Gedminas
--
Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account