XTerm exits immediatly with self-compiled xorg

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Oct 9 07:57:31 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 09:38 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 18:59 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> >
> > I am currently trying to build xorg from git, and it mostly works
> > except some font stuff.
> >
> > When I try to start xterm it quits immediatly with the following messages:
> >
> > The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:^M
> > > Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols^M
> > >                   Ignoring extra symbols^M
> > Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server^M
> > Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct^M  <--------- Xterm
>
> I think you need to build xserver with --disable-builtin-fonts.
>
> (FWIW, I don't think 'only builtin fonts or only non-builtin fonts' is a
> useful choice)

It's not.

I've got some libXfont changes on the back burner, but basically what
it'll come down to is that you just ask libXfont to turn on all its
renderers and it'll do it, and then you can customize _that_ at build
time to have either only the builtin FPE, or more.

In addition, freetype has renderers for all font formats we care about,
so we can drop our old buggy crap and make it someone else's problem.
Hooray!  There's some minor detail to be worked out around compressed
fonts but nothing serious.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/libXfont/log/?h=libXfont-2.0-branch

- ajax