problem with i830M interlaced VGA output (915G works fine)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Oct 6 13:09:55 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 19:27 +0200, Thomas Hilber wrote:

> but it's quite strange. Even my i810 is running in
> interlaced mode (i.e. 720x576i) with exactly the patch above with no
> problems at all.

Yeah, i810 is completely different than i830 and later. And, for some
reason, i830 has no interlaced display support.

> OK, but if there is an 'interlace gap' between and including i830 - i865 then
> I will stop to find a solution for this issue.

Yup, I read through the hardware docs for i845 and compared them with
i945 -- all of the places where the i945 says 'for interlaced modes, do
<foo>' just don't exist in the i845 docs.

Btw, let us know when you're happy with the interlaced mode support and
we'll stick it into the upstream driver sources. Not that we like to
encourage people to use interlaced modes, but there are times when it's
the only option.

keith.packard at intel.com