Problem compiling mesa-git ("gcc: '-V' option must have argument")

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 09:37:43 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for cross-posting, I posted this a few days ago on mesa-user,
> but this list seems quite inactive.
>
> I am trying to build xorg-git using the script published on the
> xorg-wiki, to be able to test, benchmark and profile whats currently
> in development.
> The build fails duing mesa-configure with the message: "gcc: '-V'
> option must have argument".
> I had a look into gcc's manual it it really seems to expect some
> argument if that option is passed.
>
> I tried to build it on Feodra8 and Ubuntu-8.04 (gcc-4.2.3).
>
> Any ideas howto fix thix?

Does the build actually fail? This is some sort of compiler version
test in autoconf AC_PROG_CC. I think it's just trying to give you
information about the compiler being used. It tries --version, then
-v, then -V to try to get the version number. From what I can tell,
though, it doesn't bomb configure, and the only messages should be in
config.log.

What version of autoconf are you using?

--
Dan