[rant] keeping policy in HAL

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sun Nov 30 23:19:06 PST 2008

I just want to voice my dislike of the HAL input layer stuff, but just
that it's the default.  Right now that doesn't make any sense.

I try to keep uptodate with current GIT to make sure sparc doesn't
break.

But what I spend most of my time doing is figuring out what new
"default" breaks Xorg on my system.  This was one of them.

The other one was the internal fonts stuff with the X server, which
caused me to lose my Emacs international fonts.  I started adding
"--disable-builtin-fonts" to xserver's configure run to work around
this.

It's fine to add new facilities and encourage major distributions to
move to those facilities.  But you do it by making the new facility
not the default, but something specified explicitly by the
distribution builders because only they know that they have a HAL
available which will make input device hotplug work properly.

My system does not, so Xorg broke with that behavioral change for
me.