[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 06:11:47 PST 2008

2008/11/30 Kalle Vahlman <kalle.vahlman at gmail.com>:
> 2008/11/29 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> eatdirt wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> sorry about the naive questions, I am a mandriva cooker tester/user, and
>>> I have just discovered recently that soon, I'll have to start HAL to get
>>> working device under X. So I have a few comments/questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Today, if you are not under the gas factory desktops, gnome/kde, you
>>> don't need HAL. I never used/needed HAL. Will xorg still allow users to
>>> not use HAL?
>>
>> Yes. Some platforms that Xorg is on do not support hal. But that said,
>> there are lots of things in Gnome/KDE that just don't work without HAL,
>> so more and more you will need it for correct operation. Is there any
>> reason you have a problem using hal?
>
> Amusingly, GNOME is already seeing push to move *away* from HAL:
>
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-November/msg00247.html

they're just substituting it with devicekit, that does the same thing
hal does but it's more modular and scalable.
the problem with devicekit is that it's still young and hasn't been
really tested in a distro. the first to do so
should be fedora 11.
well, anyway going with hal or devicekit it's not really important,
the fact is that the introduction of these layers
for the handling of peripherals give more freedom. just look at the
evdev driver. i think that after its development
the usability of keyboards and mouses has increased quite a lot. now i
cannot see a reason to switch back to kbd +
mouse instead of evdev. this is the same with the other hw info needed
by xorg for configuration.

--
dott. ing. beso