[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

eatdirt dirteat at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 09:37:48 PST 2008

Hi all,
sorry about the naive questions, I am a mandriva cooker tester/user, and
I have just discovered recently that soon, I'll have to start HAL to get
working device under X. So I have a few comments/questions:

1) Today, if you are not under the gas factory desktops, gnome/kde, you
don't need HAL. I never used/needed HAL. Will xorg still allow users to
not use HAL?

2) I am not competent to understand the need of HAL under xorg. But I am
experienced enough to understand that doing so will increase the
probability of X failure by, at least, the one of HAL failure. Why
taking such a risk?

3) Does Xorg plan is to become a big unique freedesktop/operating system
in itself, sort of windows like? [<--- tease :)]

Best,
Chris.