Broken X11 After Mandriva Upgrade

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Nov 26 17:27:34 PST 2008

  Hi,

> I recently upgraded to Mandriva to 2007 Free. In the process, something
> happened that broke X11. I have tried everything I can thing of but no
> joy.
> It has been very difficult to get any diagnostics  because when I try to
> startx, the console goes black and neither keyboard nor mouse can do
> anything. I finally did a startx via ssh and got these errors:

  I suggest you try a newer "Free" release, otherwise, you will need
to remove some packages, as it is, for some reason running X -configure.

> X Window System Version 7.1.1

[...]

> sunbw2
> suncg14
> suncg3
> suncg6
> sunffb
> sunleo
> suntcx

Remove the x11-driver-video-sun... packages listed above. They
were being build and installed by default, but they won't work
on a "normal" ix86 computer.

[...]
> Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunbw2_drv.so:
> undefined symbol: xf86MatchSbusInstances
>
> Do these message suggest a course of action to anyone as to how I can fix
> this? TIA.

  You can also run "xorgcfg -textmode" as root, in a shell to create
an initial xorg.conf.