3Dconnexcion SpacePilot works like a mouse (TrackPoint in laptop)

Jarosław Bułat kwant at agh.edu.pl
Wed Nov 26 06:13:40 PST 2008

Hello!

After connection SpacePilot (3DConnexion) it starts to act as a mouse
(TrackPoint), however, it souldn't. SpacePilot is automatically
recognized as a mouse. There is no any configuration in /etc/xorg.conf
(see Attachment), however, I found the following line
in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (see Attachment):

(II) config/hal: Adding input device 3Dconnexion SpacePilot
(**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: always reports core events
(**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
(II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Found x and y relative axes
(II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Found 21 mouse buttons
(II) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: Configuring as mouse
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "3Dconnexion
SpacePilot" (type: MOUSE)
(**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia:
10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(WW) 3Dconnexion SpacePilot: unable to handle keycode 265

I suspect, HAL did it, see Attachment (lshal.txt). Since I'm using
spacenavd from http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/, SpacePilot can't be
configured in X server - see FAQ:
http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/faq.html.

How can I disable autoconfiguration for this specific device? If the X
Server uses the device as an XInput source, the spacenav driver don't
get any events from this device.

This problem happened under standard Ubuntu 8.10. Below you can find a
few Xorg configuration and logs.

xorg.conf: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19596254/xorg.conf
xorg.log: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19596259/Xorg.0.log
lshal.txt: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19596272/lshal.txt