EXA and migration [was: shrink xrender featureset]

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Nov 26 01:09:43 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 06:48 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Yeah I'm with this, EXA really needs optimisations that know you have composite,
> and just to render the stuff with the CPU and composite it on. Generally it does
> stupid things like fill on the GPU, then render with CPU then composite.

We've mostly fixed the cases where this was done within the EXA core[0].
Unfortunately, such pathological behaviour can also originate from the
client side. A while ago, I expressed an idea of deferring solid fills
until it's known whether the next operation on a pixmap is done by the
GPU or CPU, and doing the fill using the same. Maybe something like that
could be an interesting project for someone interested in improving EXA,
as opposed to just ranting about it.

[0] I only know of a potential such case left in exaGlyphs, if the
driver can't render to A8. If you know of others, please do bring them
up - can't fix problems you don't know about...