XGetImage returns junk with Xorg/dummy_drv/VTs

McDonald, Michael-p7438c Michael.McDonald at gdc4s.com
Mon Nov 24 09:19:49 PST 2008

  Why would it do that? X apps don't know anything about VT switching,
nor should they.

> I believe some combination of -novtswitch and -sharevts should get
> around this by effectively making it so the X server doesn't have a VT
> at all, and thus can't lose it.

Using `sudo X :1 -config /etc/X11/xvfb1.config -ac -sharevts -novtswitch
&` on a RHEL5 machine with the nvidia driver and XGetImage works! Run
the same command on a RHEL5.2 machine with the intel driver and
XGetImage returns garbage. Unfortunately, I ultimately need to run using
the Intel driver in at least three invocations of Xorg.

So maybe this in an Intel driver bug? But I don't understand how the
intel driver could effect a separate process using the dummy driver,
other than some weird interaction with the VT switching stuff.

Mike McDonald