[IDEA] shrink xrender featureset

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Sun Nov 23 14:50:15 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 18:19 +0100, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> Currently there exist several operations in xrender that are better
> off client side or through some other graphic api (imo). Think of
> trapezoid rasterisation, gradient rendering, etc. Doing this stuff
> client side avoids unforseen migration issues and doesn't create any
> false impressions with the api users.
>
> My suggestion would be to deprecate everything, except solid,
> composite, cursor stuff and glyphs. The idea is to stop doing
> seemingly arbitrary graphics operations that end up causing slowness
> most of the time (if not worked around "properly"). At this stage
> noone accelerates these operations, so there can be no complaints
> about that.
>
> xrender is here to stay, but there are limits to it, so let's accept
> this and move on (for other needs).
>
> How do others feel about this?

NAK.  We'll be building gradients support soon.  It's a required
feature, doable in a shader, and software isn't good enough.

Traps we don't have a concrete plan on yet, but given how widely used
they are they certainly can't be deprecated.  Back when I last touched
EXA the migration for them was handled, anyway.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com