how to get fake input events to a Xinput2 master device?

Christian Beier beier at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 22 17:14:10 PST 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:57:17 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 01:52:48AM +0100, Christian Beier wrote:
> > (1) Master Devices created on the fly:
>
> XTestFakeDeviceButtonEvent, etc. It injects the event server-sided as if the
> event was created by the input driver (although there isn't one for MDs), so
> it'll generate the appropriate core/device events. I only tested that to some
> extent, so please file a bug if it doesn't quite work right.
> Having said that, injecting events into a MD directly is a bit troublesome due
> to the design of the MD/SD device hierarchy. This is one more thing that needs
> fixing before XI2 actually comes out.

Sounds in a way more feasible to me than hacking around with uinput.
And x11vnc is doing it via XTEST as well. Okay, i can only submit
key/button presses and motion events, but I can't get any more over the
wire with RFB anyway. Or what's the catch with using XTEST?

> > (2) Fake Slave Devices
> IMHO long-term uinput gives you much more flexibility than doing anything with
> xtest. I'd definitely go for that approach.

Tried this few minutes ago and it was surprisingly easy. So i have to
to take back my remarks on XTEST in a way. The only thing I don't like
is that my app then needs root privs...

Cheers,
Christian
--