[ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-synaptics 0.99.1

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sat Nov 22 15:24:34 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:54:52AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > Synaptics 1.0 RC 1
> >
> > Including features such as:
> > - better auto-calibration
> > - input property support
> > - new elantech touchpad support
>
> Is it just me or is VertEdgeScroll no longer on by default?
>
> I have to issue:
> synclient VertEdgeScroll=1

yes and no. Depending on whether your touchpad can detect multi-finger
gestures, the driver enables either edge scrolling or two-finger scrolling.
On your touchpad two-finger scrolling should be enabled.

Now there's two other factors that may influence the behaviour as well:
some touchpads report ranges beyond what they can report (e.g. 1500 if the max
you can actually reach is 1200). In this case the edge settings are out and
you need to manually adjust them to get edge scrolling working again.

the other problem is a bug in the synaptics kernel driver. Currently, all
touchpads announce multi-finger capabilities, even if they don't have them.
see http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/19/376 for a patch.
So if twofinger scrolling doesn't work for you, then you're (like me) affected
by the kernel bug and need to manually override it in your xorg.conf/fdi. Or
just patch the kernel and provide testing feedback :)

Cheers,
  Peter