evdev, hal, and calibrating my touchscreen

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Nov 19 15:09:42 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 07:47:50PM +0000, Clarke Wixon wrote:
>    $ xinput list-props "Touchkit HID-USB Touchscreen"
>
>    Device 'Touchkit HID-USB Touchscreen':
>        Device Enabled:        1

that's usually an indicator that evdev doesn't pick up the axes. keyboards
only have the device enabled property, mice have all others too.
There should be something in the log about that.

> Only "Device Enabled."  Even though the calibration property doesn't exist,
> I can SET it thusly:
>
>    $ xinput set-int-prop "Touchkit HID-USB Touchscreen" \
>    > "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 80 3975 135 3935

you can set any property you want, but that doesn't mean the driver will do
anything with it. In your case, because it wasn't registered by the driver
evdev will just ignore it (no input handler is set up).

So fixing why it doesn't pick up the axis should solve your issue here.

Cheers,
  Peter