Moving xkbcomp into the server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Nov 19 06:38:04 PST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 05:50:57AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > No, yes, and break it out into a convenience library, respectively.  I
> > toyed with creating a libxkbcommon ages ago for exactly this reason, but
> > never ended up finishing it.
>
> A server convenience library (in the libtool sense) or a low level
> shared library for the server and client? If the second, that means
> use of Xlib is prohibited, right?

Yeah, the second, which means no Xlib.  Ideally, Xlib should just call
out to this new library for keysym resolution.  While you're there,
you might want to clean up how keysyms are generated, and actually
build a sensible hash table setup that also takes the extension keysyms
(XF86keysym.h) into account, rather than having them in a separate file
that has to be text-parsed at runtime, in a completely ad-hoc
fashion ...

I had code to do the latter at some stage: it's pretty simple.

> OK, I suppose that's the right way to do it. Do you have any code I
> could look at? I don't care if it's ancient/broken/lacking history,
> I'd just like to see what you had in mind since you obviously have
> infinitely more experience here than I do.

Yeah, I had this pretty much done at some stage, just need to try to dig
it up: can't remember if it was before or after my laptop got stolen.

Thanks for looking at this!

Cheers,
Daniel