Dual Head DVI on Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family

garrone pgarrone at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 18 11:36:36 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 02:07:51PM +0100, Hannes Mezger wrote:
> hi,
>
> i tried to get my kubuntu (newest version) running in dual head mode. i
> have a fujitsu siemens celsius w350 workstation with the Q965/Q963
> chipset on board. additional i have a add2 card which gives me 2 dvi ports.
> the drivers installed are the newest from kubuntu (2:2.4.1), but i just
> can't get my xserver so recognize the two dvi outputs. xrandr tells me
> about one vga connector (on board) and one tmds connector, but never
> sees the second dvi connector.
> would be great if anybody knew a solution for this..
>
> cheers, hannes
>

> begin:vcard
> fn:Hannes Mezger
> n:Mezger;Hannes
> org:ascolab GmbH
> adr:;;Am Weichselgarten 7;Erlangen;;91058;Germany
> email;internet:hannes.mezger at ascolab.com
> tel;work:+49 9131 691 124
> tel;fax:+49 9131 691 128
> tel;cell:+49 171 8115522
> note;quoted-printable:Handelsregister/Commercial Register: Amtsgericht F=C3=BCrth HRB 9360=0D=0A=
> 	Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer/Managing Directors: Gerhard Gappmeier, Matthias=
> 	Damm, Uwe Steinkrau=C3=9F
> url:www.ascolab.com
> version:2.1
> end:vcard

I have managed this with the latest everything.
Initially I had two blank screens.
In xorg.conf, intel device section,
I had to set the ForceSDVODetect option to see TMDS-2
I had to comment out Monitor-LVDS option, even though it was a null
monitor, to see TMDS-1.
I had Monitor-TMDS-1 and Monitor-TMDS-2 set.
I did find, (and commented in another posting), that the intel driver
incorrectly uses a reserved bit to determine if the TMDS-2 monitor was
initially connected.