/dev/uinput with X11

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Nov 18 15:56:20 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:16:05PM +0800, Leandro Galvez wrote:
>     How do I use the X11 with /dev/uinput device which I plan to simulate
>     all the input devices like keyboard, mouse and touchpad? How do I create
>     the xorg.conf for this to properly work? Do I need an entry for each
>     type or can I integrate all the input device types into one single input
>     device entry in xorg.conf?

You don't need to do anything. When you create the device, HAL sends the
information to the server, which then picks it up and configures it
appropriately.

So you do the same thing as for a physical device - add your stuff into the
fdi file or set up an xorg.conf entry for it.
(FYI evdev git master has test/ directory that provides a simple uinput
devices for testing. Maybe that's a starting point for you)

Cheers,
  Peter