Moving xkbcomp into the server

Mon Nov 17 21:17:49 PST 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> One snag I've hit is XStringToKeysym.
>
> Is there an equivalent API in the server to do this conversion?

I haven't checked if there's one added now, but I know our Xsun
pre-xkb keytable parser linked in a copy of the ks_tables.h file
built in the libX11 build and included a static copy of the
XStringToKeysym function to do the lookups in it.

I wonder if going forward, moving XStringToKeysym into a separate
library, or putting equivalent functionality in something like
libxcb-keysyms wouldn't be a better way, to reduce duplication of
this data/parsing code needed by users of both libX11 & libxcb,
and the Xserver itself.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com