XDMCP / Gnome / KDE / Data transfer / GTK QT / Xorg extension

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Mon Nov 17 19:27:17 PST 2008

Hi,

Jean-Francois Bouchard escreveu:
> Problem :
> We experience very slow scroll speed (lets say, cat /var/log/messages)
> in Gnome terminal via XDMCP. (1M file : 1.5 minute to display)

<snip>

> Setup :
> On the thin client we use ...
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
> Kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5
> Gnome 2.16
> KDE 3.5

AFAIK, there's no such reason to keep the X clients (Gnome, KDE and etc)
on thin-client side.

> Question :
> We would like to know if this could be related to X protocol or the way
> things are handled when drawing text ?

If that is easy, you could simply start the same applications on the
server, displaying it locally and see if is a network problem.

Cheers,

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre