New Video Decode and Presentation API

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Mon Nov 17 14:56:33 PST 2008

On 15 Nov 2008, at 04:28, Andy Ritger wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce a new video API for Unix and Unix-like
> platforms,
> and a technology preview implementation of this API from NVIDIA.

>     * Defines an API for post-processing of decoded video, including
>       temporal and spatial deinterlacing, inverse telecine, and noise
>       reduction.

What about interlaced output and TV output. Is that still possible
with this API?

Is field parity observed when outputting interlaced material? I think
it's equally important to have good support for baseline mpeg2 in
addition to other codecs, and this would imply that interlaced, field
parity correct mpeg2 output on standard s-video / rgb should be fully
working.

>     * Defines an API for timestamp-based presentation of final video
>       frames.

This is interesting. Can such timestamps be synchronised with HDMI
audio in some ways to guarantee judder free and audio resync free
output? Ie, no need to resample audio to compensate for clock drift?

>     * Defines an API for compositing sub-picture, on-screen display,
>       and other UI elements.

I assume this indicates that video can easily be used as textures for
opengl surfaces, and that opengl surfaces (with alpha transparency
support) can easily be superimposed over video output?

> These patches include changes against libavcodec, libavutil, ffmpeg,

> and MPlayer itself; they may serve as an example of how to use VDPAU.

Would it be possible to provide a standalone playback test program
that illustrates the api usage outside of mplayer?

> If other hardware vendors are interested, they are welcome to also
> provide implementations of VDPAU.  The VDPAU API was designed to allow
> a vendor backend to be selected at run time.

It would be helpful to have an open source "no output" backend to
allow compile & run test when supported hardware is not available.
This would also help accelerate support for any software backend if
anyone should choose to implement one.

> VC-1 support in NVIDIA's VDPAU implementation currently requires
> GeForce
> 9300 GS, GeForce 9200M GS, GeForce 9300M GS, or GeForce 9300M GS.

So only mobile chipsets supports VC-1 output currently?

It seems that the marketplace seems to be missing a 9500 GT based gfx
card with passive cooling, low form factor and hdmi enabled output...

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir at pobox.com