X server 1.6 release schedule

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 14 13:13:16 PST 2008

I volunteered to manage an X server 1.6 release, tentatively scheduled
for the end of the year (yes, this year, 2008). This release will
include DRI2 and RandR 1.3 support. I'd like to know how much of the new
Xinput stuff will be ready in time.

Here's a proposed schedule of events:

Cut a release branch, do a -RC1 release:	11/24

Track remaining work on scheduled features,
cherry-picking commits from master. Cut -RC2	12/8

Stop accepting new code, focus on bug fixing.
Cut -RC3					12/22

Update documentation, mark known bugs, build
packages and ship final	bits.			1/5

After -RC1, all commits to the branch must go through the 1.6 proposed
commits page:

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Server16Branch

If you've got merges you'd like to have included, instead of just a
patch or two, please post the repository and branch name. I'll pull
stuff across and push to the branch.

keith.packard at intel.com