Xephyr - Attach specific mouse device without be root?

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Thu Nov 13 10:38:49 PST 2008

Hi all,
I'm playing with using Xephyr for an emulator for the Sugar desktop (OLPC
stuff), I am attempting to bind a specific mouse (event input) to Xephyr
and made had some progress.

However the biggest problem is that I can only get Xephyr to attach an
event source if it is run as root. ie:
--
sudo Xephyr :5 -mouse evdev,,device=/dev/input/event8
--

Is there a method to allow this without being root, but instead as a
normal user without root permissions?

As expected the permissions of the event device are 'crw-rw---- 1 root
root 13, 71 2008-11-12 21:24 /dev/input/event8'

[It seems that a normal Xserver can achieve this when run directly from a
VT, so why not for Xephyr?]

Cheers,
Mungewell.

PS. Running on Xubuntu 8.10