Intel driver on Ubuntu 8.10

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Thu Nov 13 02:00:53 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:17:32 -0500, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm running an 945GM on Ubuntu 8.10 which uses version 2.4.1 of the
> Intel driver. I'm getting occasional tearing on HD video that I didn't
> get on Ubuntu 8.04. I've seen some reports of tearing on this list, but
> don't known if there is a known problem in 2.4.1.

What is the output of xvinfo on Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 8.10? Tearing
video is usually caused by the textured video XV port. I read somewhere
that Ubuntu disabled the textured video XV port because of problems
with Compiz.

If you see textured video _and_ video overlay in xvinfo, you might try
this:

xvinfo | grep -E "Adaptor|base"

Then play a video like this:

mplayer -vo xv:port=<port base of the video overlay adaptor> video.mpg

This should play without tearing. If you use the port base of the
textured video adaptor, the tearing should be back.

In my system, it looks like this:

$ xvinfo | grep -E "Adaptor|base"
  Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Video Overlay"
    port base: 92