Mouse button problems using Logitech NX80

Matija Šuklje matija.suklje at rutka.net
Sun Nov 9 21:41:42 PST 2008

Hullo,

For my birthday I got a Logitech NX80 mouse and I'm having problems setting it
up on X.

What I found out about the mouse:
- wireless
- laser (resolution: 1000)
- has standard left and right mouse buttons — buttons 1 and 3 as usual
- wheel has two speeds/tractions which are triggered by pressing the wheel —
buttons 4 and 5 as usual
- wheel can tilt and therefore scroll horizontally — buttons 7 and 6 (yes,
they're inverted!)
- pressing the wheel changes the (mechanical) speed of the wheel — button 2 is
missing
- there are two additional buttons on the far right front corner — buttons 8
and 9
- 'xmodmap' claims that the mouse has 12 buttons (and evdev somewhere between
12 and 20); although I could detect only buttons 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 with 'xev'
(as I list them above)
- for some odd reason, Emulate3Buttons doesn't work (anymore. I think it
worked two days ago)

Problems I have and want to solve:

a) since button 2 is missing, I need some other button (preferably 9) to take
the place of the "middle mouse button"

b) fix the wheel tilting, so tilting to the right actually scrolls to the
right (instead of left as is the current state)

c) at the *very* _least_, if a) and b) cannot be done (yet), for a while just
having "Emulate3Buttons" work, would make life easier ;)

I've already RTFM'ed what I could find but still couldn't get it done. Here's
what I tried (and failed miserably) so far:
- switching to Driver "mouse" — mouse doesn't even work anymore (at least on
Protocols "PS/2", "IMPS/2" and "Explorer PS/2")
- using Option "ZAxisMapping" — had no effect neither with Options "Buttons"
nor "ButtonNumber"

Here's the relevant /etc/X11/xorg.conf section:
<snip>
 Section "InputDevice"

 # Identifier and driver

 ### Logitech USB
    ### Logitech NX80 (laserska)
    Identifier   "Mouse"
    Driver   "evdev"
    Option   "Name"         "Logitech USB Receiver"
    Option   "Resolution"      "1000"
    Option    "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option    "Buttons"      "9"
    Option    "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5 6 7"
 EndSection

 Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier   "Synaptics"
    Driver      "synaptics"
    Option   "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Option   "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
    Option   "LeftEdge"      "1700"
    Option   "RightEdge"      "5300"
    Option   "TopEdge"      "1700"
    Option   "BottomEdge"      "4200"
    Option   "FingerLow"      "25"
    Option   "FingerHigh"      "30"
    Option   "MaxTapTime"      "180"
    Option   "MaxTapMove"      "220"
    Option   "VertScrollDelta"   "100"
    Option   "MinSpeed"      "0.09"
    Option   "MaxSpeed"      "0.18"
    Option   "AccelFactor"      "0.0015"
    Option   "SHMConfig"      "true"
    Option   "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
    ### KSynaptics prav da rab UseShm
    Option   "UseShm"      "true"
 EndSection
<snap>

I'm currently running (on Gentoo AMD64 stable):
xorg-server 1.3.0.0
xf86-input-evdev 1.1.5

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matija Šuklje

P.S. This is my first post to the X.org mailing list and I hope I haven't
broken any internal rules yet :]
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje at rutka.net
www: http://matija.suklje.name

aim: hookofsilver
icq: 110183360
jabber/g-talk: matija.suklje at gabbler.org
msn: matija.suklje at rutka.net
yahoo: matija_suklje
GPG/PGP fingerprint: FB64 FFAF B8DA 5AB5 B18A 98B8 2B68 0B51 0549 D278