System freeze - is X the reason?

Juergen Gaida jpg153 at yahoo.de
Sun Nov 9 12:42:59 PST 2008

Alex,

somewhat later than expected, but...

Finally, my Zenwalk is up and running since some hours...

What I did:
1. Went in MB BIOS and set AGP Speed to 4x (instead of 8x (was before) or automatic)
2. Applied the changes you proposed in Xorg.conf (all 3 lines in the graphic card device section)

So, what did the trick?

How can I/we get to the point to know which of the settings makes the system stable or the opposite?

Any hint where to start and any 'stress test' to get a result sooner than after hours or days?

Thank you so far!

Best regards
Jürgen