patches: VPATH build of viewres, xedit, xfd, xgc, and xgc fails

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Sat Nov 8 05:54:29 PST 2008

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>> Attached are five tiny patches. Could one of you you please apply them.
>
> In order to guard against races with parallel jobs, can you change to
> `mkdir -p'? ...

Sorry, I missed this aspect (simply repeated what was already done for other
modules).

> ... It may not matter in cases where there is only one .ad
> file, but it can't hurt.

However, I would hesitate to use 'mkdir -p'. If I remember correctly there
are some portability problems (maybe irrelevant for systems supported by
Xorg).

According to the Autoconf manual a really safe way would be to use
'AC_PROG_MKDIR_P' in configure.ac and '$(MKDIR_P)' in Makefile.am -- quite
some overkill.

How about simply ignoring errors resulting from mkdir, i.e., using
 	-test -d app-defaults || mkdir app-defaults
That might produce spurious errors (ignored) for parallel jobs, but if mkdir
really fails (e.g., a regular file of that name already exists) the next
command 'cp $< $@' will fail.

BTW: the patch has already been applied to xedit, and there are several .ad
files.  I'll look through all apps to see which ones have more than one .ad
file.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>